The Heart Foundation shares helpful tips to help you manage your back-to-school schedule. First, make sure you have the lunchboxes ready for the kids! You should also check the nutrition of the food you pack for recess or lunch. Ensure it includes water, is frozen in summer, and contains variety. It is a good idea to have a few meals each week that can be taken to school the next day. This recipe makes delicious and nutritious savory rice that everyone will enjoy.
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 stalk of celery
- 1/2 small green or red capsicum
- Two green onions (shallots).
- One can of pineapple rings in unsweetened or natural juice
- Two slices of reduced-fat, reduced-salt Ham (see tip).
- 4 cups of cooked rice (see tip
- 1/3 cup kernels of no-added salt corn
- Cracked black pepper to Season
- Two tablespoons of reduced-fat salad dressing made from canola oil, sunflower oil, or olive oil. (See tip)
- Clean the spring onion, carrot, celery, capsicum, and capsicum with water. Dry them using paper towels.
- Grate the carrot, and then mix it in a bowl.
- Add the chopped celery to the bowl.
- The seeds should be removed from the capsicum. Divide into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- The root end of the spring onion should be removed. Cut the spring onion into small pieces and add them to the bowl.
- Make small pieces of pineapple and add them to the bowl.
- Cut the Ham into small pieces and add it to the bowl along with the sweet corn, cooked rice, pepper, and dressing.
- Mix everything thoroughly with a spoon.
- Cover with cling wrap or transfer to a container and refrigerate until ready to use it.