Recipe by Amira Georgy
This recipe for Mexican wraps filled with grilled capsicum strips and lightly spiced prawns, is really simple to prepare and popular with everyone! Pop all the additions on the table and let each member of the family serve themselves.
SERVES 6 PREPARATION 20 mins COOKING 10 mins
DOUBLE IT / LOWER GI / FULL OF VEGIES
- measuring spoons
- chef’s knife
- chopping board
- garlic crusher
- measuring cups
- large frying pan
- wooden spoon
- serving bowls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.2kg large green king prawns, peeled, deveined
- 12 burrito tortillas
- ½ cup light sour cream, to serve
- 2 sliced avocado, to serve
- 1 cup coriander leaves, to serve
- 12 baby cos lettuce leaves, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Heat half of oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Cook capsicum and onion, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 mins, until softened and starting to brown. Add garlic and cook for 30 secs, until fragrant. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan on medium heat. Add fennel seeds and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add prawns and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 mins, until just cooked through. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas according to packet directions.
- Serve prawns, capsicum and tortillas with sour cream, avocado, coriander, lettuce and lime.
You could replace the prawns with 700g cubed firm white fish fillets, 700g beef strips or 700g sliced chicken breast fillets, if you like.
There’s no need to clean the pan after cooking the capsicum, as it will impart a lovely flavour to the prawns.
You could also serve these prawn fajitas with guacamole. Here’s an easy recipe you can try: mash 2 avocados in a bowl, and add 1 finely chopped tomato, 1 finely chopped red onion, 2 tbsp chopped coriander and juice of 1 lime. Season.
Nutrition info (per serving):
2090 kilojoules, 31g total fat (8g sat fat), 24g carbohydrate (5g sugar), 6g fibre, 46g protein, 555mg sodium, 2½ serves of vegetables. Read more about our Nutrition Information.