This post is thanks to the National Heart Foundation of Australia
The Heart Foundation is sharing a few helpful tips for getting your back-to-school schedule under control – and first things first: the kids’ lunch boxes! Along with the nutritional checks – make sure whatever you’ve packed for recess and lunch is colourful and offers variety, includes water (frozen in summer), and is light on packaged and processed foods – a very helpful hint is to choose a few dinners each week that can be sent to school with the kids for lunch the next day. Here’s a recipe for bright and healthy savoury rice that the whole family will love.
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 15 mins
- ½ carrot
- ½ celery stalk
- ½ small red or green capsicum
- 2 green onions (shallots)
- 1 can pineapple rings in natural or unsweetened juice
- 2 slices reduced-fat and reduced-salt ham (see tip)
- 4 cups cooked rice (see tip)
- ⅓ cup no-added-salt corn kernels
- cracked black pepper, to season
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat salad dressing, made from a healthier oil such as canola, sunflower or olive oil (see tip)
- Wash the carrot, celery, capsicum and spring onion and pat dry with paper towels.
- Grate the carrot and put into a mixing bowl.
- Slice the celery finely and add to the bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the capsicum. Cut into small squares and add to the bowl.
- Cut the root end off the spring onion. Slice finely, then add to the bowl.
- Cut the pineapple into small squares and add to the bowl.
- Slice the ham into small squares and add to the bowl with the cooked rice, sweet corn, pepper and dressing.
- Using a spoon, mix thoroughly.
- If not using at once, cover with cling wrap (or transfer to a storage container) and refrigerate until needed.
Nutrition info (per serving):
1350 kilojoules, 7g total fat (1g sat fat), 7.1g protein, 55.7g carbohydrate.
These products are available with the Heart Foundation Tick. Remember all fresh fruit and vegetables automatically qualify for the Tick.
For more lunch box recipe ideas and free downloadable lunch box planners, visit the Heart Foundation here.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission. © 2014 National Heart Foundation of Australia. For other healthier recipe ideas, visit www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes or phone 1300 36 27 87.