Recipe by Amira Georgy
Perfect for summer parties, this recipe for Salt & Pepper Squid makes the ideal appetiser or nibbles platter to serve with pre-dinner drinks. Just the thing for your Christmas seafood lunch, or any event this holiday season.
SERVES 6 PREPARATION 15 mins COOKING 15 mins
DOUBLE IT / GLUTEN FREE
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chef’s knife
- chopping board
- fine grater
- small bowl
- medium bowl
- large, deep frying pan
- paper towel
- 3 cleaned squid hoods
- ⅓ cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- peanut oil, to shallow-fry
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- coriander leaves, to garnish
Sweet and sour dipping sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ¼ cup (60ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- To make dipping sauce, combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut calamari in half. Score inside flesh in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into 4cm pieces.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add enough oil to a large, deep frying pan to come 1cm up side of pan. Heat over medium-high until 180C or until a cube of bread sizzles on contact. Cook squid, in batches (see tips), for 2 mins, until light golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with chilli and coriander. Serve with dipping sauce.
Make sure you allow the oil to reheat between batches.
Substitute squid for prawns, if you like.
Do not overcook the squid or it will toughen.
Nutrition info (per serving):
863 kilojoules, 13g total fat (3g sat fat), 8g carbohydrate (2g sugar), 1g fibre, 14g protein, 1151mg sodium. Read more about our Nutrition Information.