Sponsored by Spiral Foods
Recipe by Amira Georgy
Photography by Tanya Zouev
Frangipane is a tart filling made from almond meal, butter and sugar. Here, we’ve mixed things up a little by using Spiral Foods Organic Maple & Agave Syrup to add sweetness. Also a little different, this recipe for shortcrust pastry includes the syrup, too, with delicious results.
SERVES 8 PREPARATION 25 mins plus cooling COOKING 55 mins CHILLING 1 hr 30 mins
- kitchen scales
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chef’s knife
- chopping board
- food processor
- plastic wrap
- baking paper
- rolling pin
- 2cm-deep, 22cm loose-based tart pan
- small, sharp knife
- baking weight, rice or dried beans
- electric mixer
- large bowl
- large spoon
- pastry brush
- 100g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Spiral Foods Organic Maple & Agave Syrup, plus 1 tbsp extra, to brush
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup (125g) almond meal
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 red apple, halved, cored, cut into 2mm wedges
- cooking oil spray
maple and agave syrup shortcrust pastry
- 100g cold butter, diced
- 1¼ cups (185g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (60ml) Spiral Foods Organic Maple & Agave Syrup
- To make maple and agave syrup shortcrust pastry, place butter and flour in a food processor and process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add syrup and process until mixture just forms a ball. (You may need to add up to 2 tsp extra syrup, until dough comes together.) Shape dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hr.
- Place pastry between two sheets of baking paper and roll out until 3mm thick. Use to line base and sides of a 2cm-deep, 22cm loose-based tart pan with. Use a small, sharp knife to trim edges. Chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan. Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking weights, rice or dried beans. Blind bake for 15 mins. Remove baking paper and weights, and bake for 7-10 mins, until pastry browns lightly. Cool completely.
- To make frangipane filling, using an electric mixture and a large bowl, beat butter and maple and agave syrup until combined. Add egg yolk and beat to combine. Add almond meal and flour, and beat to combine. Spoon mixture into pastry case. Smooth surface. Top with apple slices and spray with oil.
- Bake tart for 30 mins, until frangipane is set and lightly browned. While still warm, brush with extra maple and agave syrup. Cool slightly. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.
To prevent the apple slices from browning, brush them with a little lemon juice.
Nutrition info (per serving):
1878 kilojoules, 28g fat (14g sat fat), 42g carbohydrate (21g sugar), 3g fibre, 6g protein, 156mg sodium. Read more about our Nutrition Information.
Founded in the 1970s and still supplying great quality traditional foods 40 years later, Spiral Foods focusses particularly on organic products including this Organic Maple & Agave Syrup, 236ml, RRP $9-$10, as well as olive oils, vinegars, sauces, dressings, noodles, purees and more. For details on where to buy, visit www.spiralfoods.com.au or Like Spiral Foods on Facebook.