Recipe, photography and nutritional analysis by The Moodie Foodie
One of the best things about winter for me is comfy desserts. When it’s cold and wet outside, I love to curl up on the couch with a big warm bowl of creamy comfort, and what could be better than rice pudding? But not just any rice pudding – vanilla with toffee apple sauce rice pudding. Oh, my… Now, I know what you’re thinking: is this little winter warmer going to up-size my comfy tracky pants? No, not this time. This dessert has less than 5 grams of fat. Sigh. Feel better now? Last one to the kitchen does the dishes.
SERVES 6 PREPARATION 5 mins COOK 25 mins
DOUBLE IT / EAT IT TOMORROW / LOW IN SATURATED FAT
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- vegetable peeler
- chef’s knife
- chopping board
- medium saucepan
- wooden spoon
- small saucepan with a lid
- 1 cup (200g) short-grain white rice
- 6 cups (1.5L) low-fat milk
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup (110g) white sugar
toffee apple sauce
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- ⅓ cup (75g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp butter
- To make rice pudding, place rice, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Gently bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often with a wooden spoon to make sure rice doesn’t catch on base of pan, for 25 mins.
- Meanwhile, to make toffee apple sauce, place apple, sugar and ⅔ cup water in a small saucepan on medium-high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 10 mins, until apples are softened. Stir through butter.
- To serve, remove cinnamon stick from rice and spoon into bowls. Top with toffee apple sauce.
Double it? No probs.
Eat it tomorrow? Absolutely, but you may need to loosen the pud with a little warm milk.
Best not to freeze.
Nutrition info (per serving):
1655 kilojoules, 4g fat (2g sat fat).