Recipe by Amira Georgy
There’s nothing like a sweet treat after dinner, and this simple recipe for Lemon & Almond Slice will definitely satisfy those cravings. The lemon rind gives this dessert a subtle citrus twist, while the almond flakes add a soft crunch to the top. It will be ready before you know it, and you can choose to serve with thick cream or eat as is. Either way, you’ll be going back for more.
SERVES 12 PREPARATION 10 mins COOKING 25 mins
FREEZE IT / MAKE IT AHEAD / EAT IT TOMORROW
- measuring cups
- fine grater
- measuring spoons
- baking paper
- 20cm x 30cm lamington pan
- electric mixer
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- pastry brush
- sharp knife
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups (185g) almond meal
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup (40g) flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- thick cream, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Stir in almond meal and flour until just combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Scatter with flaked almonds. Bake for 25 mins, until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 mins, then brush with lemon juice. Cool completely in pan. Cut and serve with cream.
You could use orange or lime grated rind and juice instead of lemon, if you like.
Instead of almonds, top the batter with 150g frozen raspberries or blueberries.
Nutrition info (per serving):
1106 kilojoules, 22g total fat (8g sat fat), 12g carbohydrate (10g sugar), 2g fibre, 10g protein, 15mg sodium. Read more about our Nutrition Information.