Recipe by Amira Georgy
Before you reach for the phone and takeaway menu for your local Thai restaurant, take a look at our recipe for fast and delicious homemade Chicken Pad Thai. With just the right balance of flavours and a little heat from the sweet chilli sauce, we’re sure this will get demolished at dinner time (though if there are any leftovers, it’ll be brilliant for lunch tomorrow). Also try it with strips of beef or firm tofu, if you like.
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 10 mins COOKING 15 mins
LOW SAT FAT / LOWER GI / GLUTEN FREE / EAT IT TOMORROW
- measuring spoons
- chef’s knife
- chopping board
- small bowl
- fine grater
- measuring cups
- large heatproof bowl
- wok or large saucepan
- wooden spoon
- 200g packet pad Thai rice noodles
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 600g chicken breast fillet, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced lengthways
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice, plus lime wedges to serve
- 1½ cups beansprouts
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- chopped peanuts, to serve
- Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 mins, until noodles are just tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or large saucepan on medium-high. Stir-fry chicken, in batches, for 3-4 mins, until lightly browned and just cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of remaining oil in same wok on medium-high. Add egg and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min, until egg just sets.
- Heat remaining oil in same wok on medium-high. Cook onion for 2-3 mins, until starting to brown. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 secs, until fragrant. Add sauces and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to wok with noodles, beansprouts and coriander. Stir-fry for 1-2 mins, until combined and heated through. Divide pad Thai between bowl. Top with peanuts. Serve with lime wedges and extra sweet chilli sauce alongside.
Nutrition info (per serving):
2027 kilojoules, 14g total fat (3g sat fat), 47g carbohydrate (6g sugar), 3g fibre, 42g protein, 1447mg sodium. Read more about our Nutrition Information.